As I mentioned a week ago in my New Year post, I’ve been working on a new WordPress starter theme. I know there are plenty of starter themes available already, so I want to spell out my goals for this starter theme clearly.
- Do things the WordPress way.
- Include only the most necessary components (I know this is vague. Think: no amazing features, almost no styles, etc).
- Pass the Theme-Check plugin tests.
- Be easily extensible.
- Serve as a tool for teaching the proper way to build WordPress themes.
- Include comprehensive documentation.
I don’t think I’ve achieved these goals yet, but I’m working on it (although it does pass the Theme-Check tests). If you’d like to check out what’s been done so far, or help Solum reach the goals listed above, check out the Solum Github page.